[EnglishLanguage 4112] Re: Credentialing and Certification

Maricel Santos

maricelgsantos at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 6 00:26:20 EDT 2009

Dear Phil --

here are a few resources I have found useful:

Jodi Crandall provided an update in 2008 on "Adult ESL Teacher Credentialing and Certification"which is on CAL's website, along with other credentialing resources
http://www.cal.org/caela/esl_resources/briefs/tchrcred.html

A 2000 study which includes perspectives on credentialing called "Teacher Perspectives on the Adult Education Profession: National Survey Findings About an Emerging Profession" by John P. Sabatini, Melanie Daniels, Lynda Ginsburg, Kelly Limeul, Mary Russell, and Regie Stites. Here is a link
http://literacyonline.org/products/ncal/pdf/TR0002.pdf

John Sabatini, Lynda Ginsburg, and Mary Russell also wrote an overview chapter for NCSALL "Professionalization and Certification for Teachers in Adult Basic Education" -- you can find this article on NCSALL's website www.ncsall.net

Also you should be able to find this article in your university library

Perin, D. (1999). Professionalizing adult literacy instruction: Would a credential help? Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 42,610-619.

Best,
Maricel Santos
San Francisco State University