[EnglishLanguage 3986] Re: past progressive

Bonnie Odiorne

bonniesophia at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 4 15:28:03 EST 2009

I find that wrong word choice quite often has to do with grammar: choosing the adjective over the noun form, for example. Wrong forms of verbs are frequent, and relate not just to tense  but to gerunds, past participles, and, gasp! present progresssive. Then I'd have to say that subject/verb and pronoun agreement, with verb tense very close behind. I am not in an employment situation, but in an academic one, where professors,oddly enough, expect perfect writing of their students. As far as I'm concerned, as long as communication is not impeded, it's OK. But in English classes, and when I function as the Writing Center, I need to make sure the grammar is observed for the teachers who will follow me.
How to teach that is another issue; often I'll incorporate explanations when online, or send then to a resource, but in face to face I do incorporate some explaining.
Bonnie