[EnglishLanguage 3815] Re: Post criticalperiodoralL2learning ofadults w/low L1 litearcy

Dan

dlwann at comcast.net
Sun Feb 1 22:08:08 EST 2009

In my simple understanding, I thought that grammar was the relationship of
words in an sentence to express ideas or thoughts. I thought grammar
referred to features like word order and how some words modified other
words and some words expressed the thought and action of the sentence. I
remember reading that all language is grammatical but different language
users do not always fallow the same set of rules. It seems that this was
said in regards to non standard American English speakers. It seems the
point of the writer was trying to make is that is wrong to tell a student
that their language is not grammatical.

On the other hand I had the impression that usage as term referred to some
of the more glaring or obvious difference between standard speakers of a
language, English in this case, and non standard speakers. The question was
one of giving access to non standard speakers to standard language and the
language of education when they so chose to use it. Because I teach in an
urban environment, I see many similarities between ESL students and American
students who do not speak standard American English at home. In fact, many
of the ESL students I have seen in our k-12 system have a greater facility
with language overall than some American youngsters who seem to have had
limited oral interaction within their families.

I have always found that students seems to go along my rather simple view of
grammar as a set of rules similar to the rules we have in sports and that as
in sports we sometimes change rules but that it happens over time. If the
focus was on communication and the discussion of proper was reduced to how
language is used in different situations, then students seemed to be less
concerned with being correct and began using language more freely. I saw
this happen at all levels. Of course, the level of talk about language was
very little at the beginning and literacy levels. However, even literacy
students heard and used terms and wanted to know what different terms meant
for example. 'sup baby on the extreme to howdy, hi, " howyadoing". We all
laughed because no one ever speaks textbook English. But all students knew
there was language used with family, friends, at work and with people in
positions of authority. Of course on this list we would use the term
register but it seemed easier to keep all that within the context of Grammar
and my attempts to lessen anxiety about being correct.

Dan Wann