[EnglishLanguage 3613] Jambo Means Hello

Martha Bigelow

mbigelow at umn.edu
Tue Jan 27 11:40:53 EST 2009

Robin, thanks for these important reminder about children’s books. Another one of my concerns is that if they dominate a curriculum, the students aren’t exposed to other types of texts. Too much personal narrative and low-frequency vocabulary which don’t necessarily meet students needs.

That said, I used “Jambo means hello: Swahili alphabet book” by Muriel Feelings with a group of older Somali and Oromo teens with LFS in a beginning ESL class. I like it because of the following:

1. Pictures are adult

2. Content resonates with students

3. Many students speak Swahili so the bilingual nature of the book worked

4. High quality – Caldecott winner

I photocopied the book for each student with a sticky note on each page which left a white blank. Students used this blank on each page to comment on the content of each page. This works because there is not a story line – just a word in Swahili and English and a sentence or two in English matching the picture. Students who could were encouraged to find out the spelling and write the word on each page in Somali, Amharic or Arabic, which they did. It was exciting to see them debate the spelling of the words and seek the help of educated adults in the community to confirm their own spellings. Assessing their L1 writing resulted in me having various positive interactions with elders in the community. This was good for me and affirming because they were happy to see their native languages used at school. (Note: although the students in this school are almost all East African and L1 use is common, it is not necessarily part of the curriculum).

Jane Kurtz offers some great books about Ethiopia or Ethiopians that can inspire adult conversation. There are also many non-fiction books about African countries that kids pour over. I get all of these books used off of Amazon.com.

But THE BEST one yet for promoting discussion and writing is The Somali Diaspora: A journey Away by Abdi Roble and Doug Rutledge. It is a book of photographs of the Somali Diaspora and has many photos of the refugee camp. A kid who never said much saw one of these and told me how he knew how to build the homes in the picture and how he’d built many.

Martha Bigelow