[EnglishLanguage 3603] Re: Working withlearners with limitedliteracy - posted for Martha Bigelow

Elaine Tarone

etarone at umn.edu
Tue Jan 27 09:07:08 EST 2009

I agree with both Steve and Anne here ... illiterate third world
people do become bilingual and multilingual as a matter of course.
(Jane Hill pointed that out way back in the '60s... yet SLA
researchers still have not documented how they do it.) Their
knowledge of language is entirely oral, and they clearly have very
successful strategies enabling them to acquire oral second
languages. Research cannot tell us yet what skills and strengths
they are employing in that oral language processing... though some of
the teaching strategies that work here may give us hints.

In many third world contexts, these learners don't have to learn any
reading and writing in their second and third languages. In a
literate society like ours, do we have the option of not teaching
literacy, or even of postponing it? How can we maximize the strengths
of illiterate learners with strong oral skills, in SLA here?

I am learning a lot from accounts of teaching strategies that work,
for example, Jill's description of her approach with low literate
Somali and Ethiopian learners, presumably adults. Very interesting
and useful!