[EnglishLanguage 3573] Re: Working withlearners with limitedliteracy - posted for Martha Bigelow

Pamela Haran

harangod at comcast.net
Mon Jan 26 16:03:56 EST 2009

I have a workplace ed. class of people from five different countries and at least three different levels of education. I think only 2 people have graduated high school. I noticed that the least literate students have picked up quite a bit of English from listening only. The written word often gets in the way for them. And when we do minimal pairs activities, they are the ones who distinguish the sounds the best. That said, they are also the ones who want to do more reading in class as this is the area they want to improve. I sense that without improving their literacy, they learn a certain amount of English, then hit a wall.

My higher level learners enjoy the challenge of written exercises,and they want to know some of the grammar. On a whim, I diagrammed a sentence in class one night--the whole class was fascinated and requested that I do some more! The higher level learners are very proud of the skills they have, and they want to use them.

I also teach at another school. These students are from around the world, and most of them are highly educated and well off. They pick up concepts much faster. I know some of that has to do with their level of education, but it also has to do with the fact that they are not working two jobs and supporting families. They have extra time to study.

Many of our ESL students don't have the extra time to study. My workplace ed class has a high degree of interest in learning--they just don't have the luxury of time to do lots of work outside the classroom.

Pam Haran
harangod at comcast.net