[EnglishLanguage 3471] 10 languages and the fun of code switching

Wrigley, Heide

heide at literacywork.com
Fri Jan 16 17:03:07 EST 2009

The discussion on digital reading the use of language (English, local, vernacular) has been quite fascinating and in a pitiful attempt to justify my not finishing real work that is due and people are paying me for, I thought I'd write a note to Steve (which would have been much more accurate and fluent had I had the benefit of those two glasses of wine he mentioned on his video) -

Sehr geehrter Herr Kaufman - Lieber Steve

A ce moment, j'ecoute votre video sur "les 10 languages que je parle" (que vous parlez, pas moi-)

Ich muss shon sagen das ist alles sehr imponierent, besonders weil es klar ist dass Sie frei sprechen und der Text nicht gelesen wird oder auswendig gelernt ist - and anyone who reads Rollo May in German has my admiration - though I wonder why (I didn't misunderstand and it was Karl May, was it?)

I particularly liked the part where you use a Russian phrase to make a point in Spanish. Bien hecho indeed - (and one of these days I will actually learn how to use accents and upside down exclamation marks in multilingual e-mails

Xie, xie ni

Ciao

Heide

Heide Spruck Wrigley
Mesilla, NM

P.S. However, I do feel compelled to point out that having had grammar lessons on the "use of of hypotheticals in English" made it easier to create sentences like 'had I had .... " when I was still relatively new to English - although I am not arguing that natural curiosity about languages and a delight in running across uncommon structures plus multiple exposures to these phrases (through audio books or text) would not have gotten me there eventually