[EnglishLanguage 4674] Re: Second vs. foreign language instruction

Bonnie Odiorne

bonniesophia at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 30 12:19:38 EDT 2009

I wouldn't say they're rude, either (although that's a generalized American perception; they're not rude to me because I'm a fluent French speaker); it's just that they're more formal than we are and tend to draw back when that formal space feels transgressed. I do think Americans need to be aware of that possible response and be able to interpret it. As for your Saudi Arabian, we should know to pick our battles, and this would be one of them. But he should be made aware that other cultures don't share his views and he might see things that might offend his personal sensibiities and religious beliefs, without people being intentionally offensive or insulting.
Bonnie
 Bonnie Odiorne, Ph.D. Director, Writing Center Adjunct Professor of English, French, First Year Transitions, Day Division and ADP
Post University, Waterbury, CT