[EnglishLanguage 4603] Variability in L2 teaching & learning

Paul Rogers

pumarosa21 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 24 09:54:11 EDT 2009

Michael,
Thanks for bringing this up.
Actually, all my students are Spanish speakers, usually over 40 and usually low income working women with children. For them, pronunciation is a serious problem and also an important stated need. Most of them have dropped out of adult ed classes for a variety of reasons, including the fact that they did not like monolingujal classes because ... they did not understand the teacher!
On the other hand, I recently started a class of younger women who are part of a Latino PTA. Many of them had studied English in Mexico and do not have the same difficulties pronouncing English as older students.
FYI - the literacy rate in Mexico may actually be higher than in the US.
So, yes, it is important to define our "audience" a bit better.
Paul

Paul Rogers
805-258-3310
pumarosa21 at yahoo.com