[EnglishLanguage 3103] Re: Grading ESL student papers

Michelle Ueland

mueland at cal.org
Thu Nov 6 10:46:25 EST 2008

Dear Lynn,

I would like to recommend Helen Fox's Listening to the World: Cultural
Issues in Academic Writing if you aren't already familiar with it. The
publisher, National Council of Teachers of English, describes Listening
to the World as "a valuable resource for all university teachers and
academic advisers who work with students from diverse cultural and
ethnic backgrounds - both international and U.S. students - who often
find it difficult to learn academic writing and understand its purpose
in the U.S. university."

I read Listening to the World and found it to be a candid portrayal of
Fox's experiences with the benefit of extensive reflection on her
practice as a writing instructor of "world majority students." If you or
others have found similar references to the cultural issues of academic
writing in English, I'd love to add them to my reading list.

Having provided this reference, I will also respond to your questions.
As an educator, I understand written communication to be the cornerstone
of academic success. When I teach, I work with the group and the
individual to improve their ability to communicate in writing. This
includes, among everything else, grammar. My policy is to provide
specific feedback, recommend writing resources on campus, and allow for
revisions. All academic writing includes revision and the sooner
university students learn how to revise and come to an appreciation of
the benefits of reviewing and revising their work, the better they will
fare, not only academically but also professionally.

Best regards,

Michelle M. Ueland, Ph.D.
Center for Applied Linguistics
202-355-1581
mueland at cal.org <mailto:mueland at cal.org>
www.cal.org <http://www.cal.org/>

Improving communication through better understanding of language and
culture