[EnglishLanguage 2526] Re: Adult ES Readers

Melinda Whittlesey

whittleseym at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 15 23:54:58 EDT 2008

Hi Everyone:
     I've enjoyed all the different discussions and websites are great!  Several  people have been talking about phonemic awareness and how to teach it I have found that an easy way to teach vowel combinations, blends, and other sounds is to use the books  Making Words and Making Big Words by Patricia Cunnigham.  Students take sets of letters and combine them in certain vowel and consonant patterns.  The last word called the big word uses all of the letters.  It's repetitious and when used regularly it slowly teaches vowel and consonant sound combinations used in English in a multi-sensory way.  It takes no preparation the adults tear a sheet of notebook paper into small pieces and then write the letters needed on the pieces of paper.  It's fun to watch adult students get excited about guessing and getting the big word right.  This activity helps reading skills, pronunciation, and spelling.  The lessons can also be extended to include
vocabulary work and writing.