[EnglishLanguage 2416] Re: Reading and Adult English Language Learners

Steve Kaufmann

steve at thelinguist.com
Tue May 13 13:05:34 EDT 2008

Hello,

I believe that the MP3 player is a wonderful tool for helping people to
read. The more familiar people are with a given context, the better they can
read. They can listen several times during the day, and then attack the
reading in the evening. The audio can help people get a sense of the rhythm
of the language, and it gives them a little momentum when they start to
read. The sound file should ideally be chosen by the learner, be narrated by
a skilled narrator with a pleasant voice, or even be natural conversation
that has been transcribed. Learners can go from simple stories to complete
audio books. It provides repetitive exposure to the words and phrases they
are learning.

To what extent do people here use audio in conjunction with, or as
preparation for, reading with people who can decipher letters, but have
trouble reading? What has been the experience?

Steve Kaufmann
West Vancouver, BC
www.lingq.com
Skypename: lingosteve