[EnglishLanguage 2403] Re: ESL Reading - 2 or 3 things we know for sure

Ted Klein

taklein at austin.rr.com
Tue May 13 09:13:07 EDT 2008

Heide,

I have been involved in ESL for decades in and out of the USA, as a classroom teacher, teacher trainer, textbook writer, advisor, manager, etc. and have ended up after retiring from the Defense Language Institute English Language Center back where I am happiest; in a beginning to intermediate classroom in Austin, Texas teaching ESL to adult immigrants at very basic levels. In the trenches lies reality and I really enjoy what I do now. Along the way I have developed a very strong interest in early concentration on the sound systems of English and those of my students. I have experienced that this is perhaps the most neglected area in teacher training, despite its importance in all aspects of their language acquisition. That includes reading.

You and many other persons in our profession use a term that I find somewhat lacking; "phonemic awareness." The idea is wonderful and it's really not quite enough. Let me explain. What I have to say relates to many languages. However, most of our students in Texas and elsewhere are Spanish speakers. The problem is that what both teachers and students need is "phonetic awareness." My own studies and those of others with an interest in this area have shown that a majority of the problems in listening, identification and production of English sounds are not due to a lack of these sounds on the basic phonemic level in the spoken language. The problem is the allophonic behavior of these sounds within words or sentence environments.

English has 38 phonemes; 24 consonant sounds, 11 vowel sounds and three diphthong phonemes. In their "raw" phonemic descriptions, a majority of the consonant sounds are the same or very close to their counterpart Spanish phonemes. The problem comes with factors that come up at the phonetic level. For example, the voiceless stops /p/ /t/ and /k/ are aspirated in English. A little puff of air after any of these sounds is acoustically important in recognition and production. Aspiration is not phonemic in English. It is in some languages. They are not aspirated in Spanish and are often interpreted by English speakers as /b/ /d/ and /g/. English and Spanish both have /b/ /d/ and /g/, however between vowel sounds, within a word, or between words these three voiced stops convert to fricative sounds. "Labor" sounds like "laver," "ladder" sounds like "lather" and the /g/ in "begin" makes a fricative sound that doesn't exist in English. As we go through all of the consonant sounds of English and Spanish in different word environments, the only consonant sound that seems to be the same in different environments in both languages is the /f/ of "fan/often/safe" in English and "fiesta/efecto/bif" in Spanish. To further make things difficult for the Spanish speaker is a heavy lack of consonant sounds at the ends of words. Most Spanish words end in vowel sounds. Spanish words only have five final consonant sounds. Even these sounds are often assimilated in words that follow. These are not phonemic factors, they are phonetic and morphophonemic. Spanish and many other languages that we deal with have no final consonant clusters. A word like "warmth's" could not occur in Spanish or any eastern Asian language or even a word like "books." Speaking of Asian languages, all of them with which I have had contact pre-glotallize final consonants in their languages and English. In English the glottis closes after the final consonant. In plain terms, these sounds are "swallowed." That is not a phonemic factor. The bad news is that all of the vowel sounds of English and Spanish and any other language that I can think of are phonemically AND phonetically different.

Therefore I would like to suggest that "phonemic awareness" on the part of teachers and students is valuable. It quickly gives the big picture. However, the next step needs to be finding out how these sounds behave in English for sure and preferably also in the students' native languages. In order to fix any problems we need to know what is causing them.

Ted
www.tedklein-ESL.com