[EnglishLanguage 2138] Re: Topics for the list 2007, 2008

Steinbacher, Mikal

msteinbacher at cascadia.edu
Thu Feb 14 11:01:20 EST 2008

I like your analogies and method. I've developed a handout to assist students use of the dictionary, " So How Do I Spell It" , but it also points out the difficulty of determining the pronunciation of vowel and consonant sounds. I suggest they keep it in their dictionary for future reference, but we have fun with it in class. I also use a t ongue twister, "Betty Botter", which gives practice to all of the soft vowel sounds, and it's a kick to work with too! My students enjoy it a lot.

Betty Botter bought some butter. "but," she said,
"This butter's bitter, and a bit of better butter
Would make a better batter." So Betty Botter bought a bit of butter
Better than the bitter butter, and it made Betty Botter's batter better----
So it was that Betty Botter bought a bit of better butter.

I've attached a copy of the spelling handout. Unfortunately I've not figured out how to put the sound symbols over the vowels in my computer .. so I do that by hand before copying it.

Mikal Steinbacher
Associate Faculty ESL
Cascadia Community College