[EnglishLanguage 2084] Re: Charts, Cummins, etc.

Kirsten Schaetzel

kschaetzel at cal.org
Wed Jan 23 10:08:00 EST 2008

Hello,

This is a very interesting discussion and I have a few tidbits to add.

First, I think Cummins' ideas about BICS and CALPS are a good way to
understand something of what acquiring a language entails and that there
are different varieties of one language. Conversational language is
different from academic language and BICS and CALP help people
understand this. We have all had students who had good academic skills
in English (reading and writing--CALP) but couldn't order lunch at
McDonald's (BICS); and we have had students who can rattle off a lunch
order for five at McDonald's (BICS) but don't know the first thing about
academic language (CALP).

This is why learner needs assessments are so important in adult English
language learning. If we are to make students' learning meaningful to
them, then we need to know what they want to accomplish with the English
language.

Second, I don't think that academic language must be acquired in the
native language first. This is best and easiest in many ways. But,
again, we have had students who have no academic language in their
native languages, but build an excellent academic language in English.
Many times learners learn grammatical terms, like verb, when they are
studying another language. I know I had no grammatical knowledge in
English, my native language, and only learned the parts of speech when I
studied Spanish. Later, becoming an ESL teacher, I was able to apply the
parts of speech to English. Language learning is not straight forward
and learning a concept in one's second language can increase knowledge
of one's native langauge.

Best,
Kirsten

Kirsten Schaetzel, Ph.D.
Center for Adult English Language Acquisition
Center for Applied Linguistics
4646 40th St. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Telephone: 202-355-1523