[EnglishLanguage 2788] Re: Ipods in the ESL classroom - HELP

Lisa Clayton

claytonlisa3 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 12:47:17 EDT 2008

Joyce,

My understanding of your recent question about using iPods in the classroom
is that you need more information about how to use an iPod in the classroom
as a teacher's tool rather than having the students use them individually as
some folks have discussed in response to your question. I am also
interested in learning more about teachers' use of iPods and hope that
others can contribute their experiences/tricks/innovations on that theme.

If you can get your hands on a September 2007 article in the "Essential
Teacher" magazine which is put out to members of TESOL (www.tesol.org),
there is a great article by Sylvan Payne entitled " A Presentation in Your
Pocket." This article really addresses the kinds of issues about which I
believe you are inquiring : playing audio files, managing lessons, building
and showing an iPod-based presentation in class, etc, using the iPod
remotely, etc. The advantage is that you can just carry it all around on a
tiny device!

I hope this info helps and I look forward to hearing from others as well.

Lisa Clayton
ESL Instructor - English Language Institute
Westchester Community College
Valhalla, New York