[EnglishLanguage 3110] tech-based, student-friendly English literacy course for Spanish speaking adults and their families

Talia Kowitt

tkowitt at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 16:05:22 EST 2008

I have been developing a more tech-based, student-friendly English literacy
course for Spanish speaking adults and their families. Many free and
effective internet resources are being integrated into a cohesive
internet-based ESL program available on my website
http://tkowitt.home.comcast.net.

Websites such as www.Starfall.com <http://www.starfall.com/> and
www.Pumarosa.com <http://www.pumarosa.com/>, which have been funded by the
Polis-Schutz family, are being integrated into the program. These websites
are quite effective for teaching literacy. These and other internet-based
resources help students:
· Cut the silent verbal period that often accompanies recent
immigration from a few months to only a few weeks.
· Increase confidence in reading, writing and speaking in English.
· Accommodate multilevel English language learning in the classroom.
· Increase comfort with technology.
· Increase time spent rehearsing English language skills at home on
the internet.
· Increase time teen mothers spend reading to and with their children
at home or at the library.
· Involve students' friends and families in the literacy process.

In my program I try not only to accommodate the students, but teachers as
well. I provide teachers with tools they can use to expand upon classroom
learning and provide a location where teachers can study the languages of
their ESOL students' for free. Teachers are provided with many multilingual
ESL resources that use music, poetry, games and activities to improve
students' English in a fun and interactive way. I hope to share my program
at the TESOL conference in Denver in March of 2009.

Sincerely,

Talia Kowitt.
MA in Education
K-12 TESOL Certification