[EnglishLanguage 3065] Re: ESL Recruitment strategies

Betsy Wong

betsywong at comcast.net
Thu Oct 30 16:13:53 EDT 2008

Excellent point, Sally. We can't simply assume that people can read fliers,
even if they're printed in other languages -

I'd suggest contacting people who provide services used by immigrants
(clinic personnel, school social workers/office staff/parent liaisons,
apartment managers) and tell them about the classes. If possible, go in
person to talk to them and get "buy-in": emphasize how the classes would
help people communicate in English so they can understand a nurse's
questions/talk to teachers/help their kids with homework/report apartment
problems . . .

I'd also recommend emphasizing on the printed materials - and in
communications with current students - that your program offers classes for
beginners, even if they can't read or write in their own language. Sometimes
students mistakenly assume that if they don't have prior schooling (or much
of it), they can't take classes here. Get the word out to everyone you know
that you have beginner classes for everyone, and they'll pass it along.

For instance, a few years ago I went to a MacDonald's near our class site
and spoke to a manager, who was an immigrant herself. She persuaded a few of
the employees to take classes; I know from having them in my literacy class
that they couldn't have deciphered a flier at that point. I also think that
having a little "push" from someone they knew and trusted helped them get up
the nerve to register (don't forget how intimidating that thought can be!).

Other ideas, anyone?

Betsy

_____