[EnglishLanguage 3063] Re: distance learning .... as the future?

Sledd, Lee

lsledd at tacomacc.edu
Wed Oct 29 20:40:09 EDT 2008

Clear Speech is a text/CD that works on word and sentence-level stress, which is what will cause the most trouble for a Thai speaker. She probably also needs some work on final consonants. Maybe that can be done with contrasting pairs:

http://www.manythings.org/pp/

or, a nice book is Pronunciation Pairs, or Ship or Sheep. But for an advanced student with stress issues, Clear Speech is on-target. More confusion will come from the word/sentence stress issues than individual phonemes.

Also be aware that educated, urban Thai has borrowed a tremendous number of English words outright- not cognates, like the Latin words found in Spanish, but English words spoken with Thai stress patterns and consonant rules (N is substituted for final L, no final S, etc.) Frequently, part of what the student is up against is the notion that she already "knows" the word- which may be true in terms of meaning, but is not at all true for pronunciation (see what happens with "Pepsi" or "computer"). So she needs to learn to slow down, pay attention and doubt herself whenever using those English loanwords (which are de facto Thai now).

Choke dee, (good luck)
Lee Sledd
ESL Instructor
Madison Family Literacy
a partnership of Tacoma Community College and Tacoma Public Schools
253-571-1887