[EnglishLanguage 2854] Re: language and culture

Steve Kaufmann

steve at thelinguist.com
Tue Sep 23 10:43:54 EDT 2008

Eduardo,

I am only talking about the kind of attitude that is conducive to successful
language learning. The less a person is stuck in their own language, the
less of a cultural ego they have, the easier it is to learn another
language.

I also think that it makes more sense in countries like Canada and the US
not to focus on the countries of origins of newcomers. Very often the
newcomers prefer it that way. Many do not like to be asked "where are you
from" just because they have an accent. I prefer to assume they are Canadian
and want to be identified that way. It is up to them to tell me differently.

Steve

--
Steve Kaufmann
www.lingq.com