[EnglishLanguage 2658] Re: Problem Tutor How to Handle It

Jenny Hubler

JHubler at womenscenter.info
Tue Jun 17 12:01:36 EDT 2008

Hello All:

I've been following the discussion about the "problem tutor" and I thank all
of you for sharing your experience.
I like the description Kate gave of **a volunteer

> may not be cut out for tutoring this population**

I've had to deal with this situation a couple of times now. In each case,
the tutor decided to leave before I had to confront her. I offered feedback
and so did other tutors and students. The tutors who accepted the feedback
changed their behavior, and the ones who were offended decided to leave the
program.

One point I'd like to add to the discussion is that you can't MAKE someone
do anything. You can offer feedback and constructive criticism; coach and
model; review the expectations; etc. But you can't change someone's behavior
or beliefs. Keeping that in mind helps me focus on the issue at hand and not
the person's character or my personal feelings.

Jenny Hubler
The Women's Center of Tarrant County
Fort Worth TX

I have a tutor who is a former high school teacher. She