[EnglishLanguage 2604] Re: writing lessons

Michael Tate

mtate at sbctc.edu
Wed Jun 4 11:53:27 EDT 2008

Paul,

I noticed your comment about textbooks, and I wanted to share how
millennials may see textbooks.

>From what I have read and heard, millennials expect their teachers to

use materials fresh from the web rather than from a textbook which they
see a dated, manipulated, and even as a barrier to learning. They seem
to see textbooks as "canned" and they want "homemade". They appear to
put a high value on "contemporaneous" information unlike earlier
generations who valued information that has "stood the test of time."

And, for college students who are facing higher tuitions, and lagging
financial aid, the huge prices on textbooks just fuel the fire.

Since basic skills students lag in the uptake of new technology, basic
skills millennials may behave somewhat differently than their peers, but
I think they share (or will come to share) their generation's
expectations about classroom materials. I think this is important for
how our work may change in the near future.

Michael Tate