[EnglishLanguage 2517] teaching comprehension stragtegies for higher level learners (ABE and ESL)

Wrigley, Heide

heide at literacywork.com
Thu May 15 17:39:21 EDT 2008

Hi, Bonnie (and all)

I had developed the 7 habits originally for students like yours. youth
who struggled with reading and for whom "just reading" hadn't worked.
Showing them what proficient readers do while immediately engaging them
in short texts (rather than talking at them), worked well with that
group. It was great to see kids who had not read before get to the
"aha" moment where they see that there is actually something they can do
when they are stuck and while not all strategies work all the time for
every text and student, it gave them a starting point and something to
hold on to. The project was funded by The Literacy Secretariat of
Canada and is ongoing. And yes, we also had a Sustained Silent Reading
Component although it was hell for the first few weeks since these kids
definitely didn't have a (sub)culture of reading for fun (books were
anything but)

On the instructional side, we used a lot of "Think Alouds" as part of an
approach related to "cognitive apprenticeship" that is being able to see
how others (a teacher or more expert peer) think as they approach a
reading task (or any other abstract task that cannot be observed).

We also used "think/pair/share" a lot to keep everyone engaged and a set
of strategies known as "reciprocal teaching" that involves pairs of
students working with the same text and taking turns asking and
answering questions (I'll take paragraph # 1 and ask some questions and
then you take paragraph # 2 and I answer your questions). The technique
has everyone engaging the text (informational texts work well). The
students end up helping each other. Part of the task is to answer the
question (how do you know that this is the answer? Or how did you find
the answer?) Students are encouraged to ask both literacy questions and
inferential questions. It takes, of course, lots of modeling and
demonstrating to help students "get" how the task works - but they did
enjoy taking turns playing the "teacher" who asks questions.

We've now adapted these techniques for working with intermediate ESL
learners (since question generating is such a bear in English) but mind
mapping and Think/Pair/Share work for lower levels as well (let me know
if you need more detailed description of these and I can post them.

For anyone interested in reading more about the instructional and
program practices used in what's now called "the New School Canada" ,
you can go to the site and then click on the left hand margin to read
about what worked (instruction starts with # 11)

http://www.youthliteracy.ca/pages/promising.html

We keep hearing that much of ABE is now made up of (former) ESL students
who still have difficulties reading and writing. Do any of the rest of
you have ABE or GED students who struggle with reading? And what do you
see as major differences in the instructional needs for each group

Best

Heide