[EnglishLanguage 2505] Re: Discussion on Reading and Adult EnglishLanguage Learners begins

Claudia Duran

cduran at Neighborhood-Centers.org
Thu May 15 14:11:55 EDT 2008

Hello,

I am a civics teacher with Neighborhood Centers Inc, in Houston Texas.
Our center is an Even Start Program that offers year round family
literacy services including English language acquisition and reading
programs for adults and preschool children. Our students/parents also
consist of mainly women with a variety of educational background as
well. Since we offer early childhood education and all instruction is
provided in English. We prepare the children so when the parents want to
register them in elementary, the parents automatically know that they
will be tested to see if they quality for all English instruction, or
bilingual instruction. Then we bring in speakers to let them know of
their parent's rights and school policies and procedures. Parents are
determined to get involved in their children's school to see what
benefits they have.