[EnglishLanguage 2399] Re: Reading and Adult English Language Learners

michael campbell

mwcampbell49 at hotmail.com
Mon May 12 23:43:01 EDT 2008

I have been teaching ESL for several years in both academic (university/community college) tracks and in workplace settings. It seems that the academic track, perhaps because of the requirements of departments heads and textbooks used, focuses on strategies (main ideas, inferences, vocabulary in context). The workplace settings tend to focus more on realia, the kinds of reading that the students actually encounter in the workplace, again because of the desires of the stakeholders but also because of good pedagogical practice. I also teach writing workshops at a local university that is beginning a five year program on Information literacy. Literacy then is contextual meaning something different in various settings.
I am interested in some of Richard Kern's notions of literacy that grew out of new literacy studies. I have difficulty implementing them to the degree that I would like because of the language proficiency of the different groups I teach. This is problematic because Kern approaches literacy as a language learning opportunity...just some thoughts by way of introduction.
Michael W. Campbell