[EnglishLanguage 2128] What does literacy mean in adult ESL contexts? (longer)

Lynda Terrill

lterrill at cal.org
Tue Feb 12 15:42:32 EST 2008

Dear subscribers,

As we begin a discussion of what literacy means, especially in the context of adult ESL, it seems important to first think about why understanding the meaning of the word or defining it (or redefining it) may be important for our practice. Here are a few sample questions to start with, but please ask or answer others that are salient for you:

*
Do you have a default definition of "literacy" in mind? If so, what is it and how does the definition intersect with your practice (e.g., teaching, program administration, research)
*
Do you think that how individuals, programs, agencies, and other entities define literacy has an impact on the field? If yes, in what ways? If no, why not?
*
Do you agree with any of the definitions listed below? Which ones and why? Do you disagree with any of the definitions listed below? Which ones and why?
*
Do you think that literacy means the same thing for teachers of adult basic education (ABE) as it does for teachers of adults learning English as a second language? Why or why not?

While I'm not sure that we will come to consensus on the meaning of literacy, I hope the discussion will help clarify the issue and connect ideas and practice.

Thanks,

Lynda Terrill

List moderator

lterrill at cal.org <mailto:lterrill at cal.org>

********************

The following excerpt is taken verbatim from pages 5 and 6 of Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages.(2000). Adult ESL language and literacy instruction :A vision and action agenda for the 21st century. Alexandria, VA: Author. (Available from http://www.cal.org/caela/esl_resources/vision.pdf)

What Does It Mean to Be Literate?

Our conceptions of literacy shape our nation's thinking about the abilities of adult learners and the types of educational services that are provided. Some recent definitions and goals include:

Using printed and written information to function in society, to achieve one's goals, and to develop one's knowledge and potential.

National Adult Literacy Survey, Kirsch et al., 1993, p. 2

An individual's ability to read, write, and speak in English, compute and solve problems at levels of proficiency necessary to function on the job, in the family of the individual, and in society. Workforce Investment Act, 1998, originally from the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act, 1991

Every American adult will be literate and will possess the knowledge and skills necessary to compete in a global economy and exercise the rights and responsibilities of citizenship. National Education Goal for Adult Literacy and Lifelong Learning, National Goals Panel, 1990

Every adult will be literate and will possess the knowledge and skills necessary to orient themselves in a rapidly changing world, to voice their ideas and be heard, and to act independently as a parent, citizen, and worker, for the good of family, community, and nation. Stein, 1995, p. 4

To be responsive to the realities of the adult English language learner population in the United States, conceptions and definitions of literacy must include recognition that

* proficiency in other languages, in addition to English, is valuable

* like other adults in literacy programs, adults learning English engage with a range of language uses and reading and writing activities, which change and expand throughout their lives ("many literacies")

* literacy involves more than the ability to communicate effectively; it includes as well the ability to advocate on behalf of ourselves, our families, and our communities and to use technology effectively for education and work, in whatever languages are appropriate for the task and the purpose

* language and literacy development activities (in English and in other languages) are not fixed or remedial, but rather are an ever changing and integral part of the lives and work of every individual who lives in the United States

Adult ESL Language and Literacy Instruction: A vision and Action Agenda for the 21st Century (p. 5 and 6 available from http://www.cal.org/caela/esl_resources/vision.pdf)