[EnglishLanguage 2104] Re: teaching pre-paid phone cards

Betsy Wong

betsywong at comcast.net
Mon Feb 4 10:14:39 EST 2008

Interesting situation, Dottie!

Great idea to use prepaid phone cards w/the refugees. I really like the idea
of working the concept into the English language instruction.

I haven't done quite the same thing, but I've covered using the phone book
to access community services. I attached a beginner-level lesson for this
purpose that I created years ago as part of an EL/Civics curricular unit for
Fairfax County, Va. Maybe the types of activities in this lesson would give
your teachers some ideas for how to introduce the concept of phone cards . .
.

For instance, you could write a very short (i.e., 6-8 sentences) story on
someone who is newly arrived to the country, makes a lot of phone calls
home, and then gets the phone bill - maybe something like this:

"Bahta comes to the United States.

He misses his family.

He calls his country every day.

He gets the phone bill.

It is $700.

He says, "How can I pay for this?"

Get the students to brainstorm - maybe even write sentences on the board as
the students voice their ideas.

You could then introduce the concept of a phone card (maybe someone will
have come up with it at this point) - show them a phone card, ask if anyone
knows what it is, and maybe do a story like this . . .

"Bahta buys a phone card for $50.

He calls his country.

He talks for 10 minutes.

It costs $20.

He calls his country again.

He talks for a long time.

He is cut off.

He says, "What happened?"

You could even work in some basic numeracy here - e.g., the phone card is
worth $50; he uses $20; how much is left?

Have fun with this! Great lifeskill concept for a lesson.

-- Betsy

Betsy Lindeman Wong

Lead ESL Teacher

Alexandria Adult and Community Education

_____