[EnglishLanguage 2865] Re: citizenship

Darlene Snider

darlene.snider at wwcc.edu
Tue Sep 23 18:26:22 EDT 2008

I have been following this discussion with great interest. I myself grew up in a small German speaking community in northern Canada. My grandparents were adamant about preserving language and culture. Me....not so interested. Now, I am a first generation college graduate with a MA degree in TESOL. I moved from Canada and now live in the US, and I don't really speak a word of German. I have come to believe that our emotions are the gatekeepers of our identity. It is hard to open up a conversation like this and not find that emotions flare. As a child, I was more interested in playing with my friends than learning to speak German. I knew that my parents and grandparents where somewhat disappointed with this decision... they told me so. As an adult, I am not proud of the fact that I don't speak German...I wish I did. However, I attribute who I am.., my values, work ethic, beliefs... to those experiences that shaped me early on. I have a great passion for what I do, and for my students. I am not afraid of being in the room where people are speaking languages that I don't understand. I recognize that people need a choice in what they want to learn and the pace at which it happens. I understand that the whole thing is very messy. Thank you Oma and Opa

One more thing on this subject... I love the poem "Theme for English B" by Langston Hughes.

Darlene

_____