[EnglishLanguage 2632] Re: Sheltered English for Adults?

Jlbogdan

jlbogdan at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 14 11:45:02 EDT 2008

Terry and Jennifer,
The same strategies apply to all  levels of ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Language) students from K-12 and adults and transitional students.  Prior knowledge is of utmost importance.  The other important strategies include using graphic organizers--KWL chart to asset prior knowledge, webs to brainstorm and help with the ideas and words in English in order to accomplish the task, visuals--pictures, realia (real objects), charts etc.
I use a variety of graphic organizers.  Some are Venn diagrams, sequencing chart, story maps, the 5Ws and 1H, cause and effect etc.  Most are good teaching strategies for any student.
I have taught pre-K, K-12 and adults, ESOL and non-ESOL. I also gave parent seminars to help their children as students.  I presently teach ESOL at middle school, adult beginners. I also wrote and am the Instructor for an Independent Study Graduate level course "Teaching English Language Learners"  at Chapman Univ. in Orange, CA.  It is to help mainstream teachers apply ESOL strategies to their courses (including the ESOL students) by applying strategies and techniques to make them sheltered.
Joyce Bogdan
ESOL teacher, West Hartford Public Schools, West Hartford, CT
ESOL instructor, Chapman Univ., Orange, CA