[EnglishLanguage 2611] Re: textbooks - to have or have not?

Ochieng kh

ochykheyr at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 5 02:04:52 EDT 2008

I share immensely in Crofford' opinion. Learning is a life-long process that transends generations. It immortalizes both experiences and knowledge by withstanding the test of time. It is also the hall-mark of later-day research and comparative studies. This is largely attainable through text-book development. It is also systematic method of learning by virtue of popular approval. The only aspect I am hesitant to concur with Crofford is the argument that free is worthless. Free things are very important because they constitute the basis of volunteerism and charity and by extension enhance inter-personal relations. You need not be paid to respond to an emergency or simply to correct an ongoing wrong. Free-things are sometimes very precious like the air we breath, greetings, best wishes, congratulatory messeges, etcetera. Good day to all,
Ochieng M. Khairalla-Nairobi-Kenya.

"Crofford, Amy L." <alcrofford at okcps.org> wrote:
As a former teacher in West Africa, Haiti and the Chinese Embassy in Benin-- students would have been terrified not to have a book. It was their security blanket. It was the teacher that they could take home. In many countries they believe-- "You get what you pay for!"-- free is worthless.

That said-- as the mom of an American college student-- my son could take textbooks or leave them. My high-schooler would prefer a lighter backpack! They are tech savvy and love anything "computer".

As a teacher-- for truly creative people, textbooks are springboards that assure a balanced presentation of subject matter. It takes a very disciplined teacher to avoid lingering on favorite subjects and ignoring others when there is no external monitor. I have rarely stuck to the text, rather I teach the material in another way-- using objects and drama whenever possible. The students can then review with the text.

As an author, I prefer published books that have stood the test of time and multiple editions. I appreciate my editors. So many things pulled off the internet have errors in spelling and punctuation. I don't want my students picking up on those things or thinking that they are okay. (I do realize you could tell the students that there are 10 errors on the page and challenge them to find them all.)

My $.02,
Amy Crofford