[HealthLiteracy 208] Re: Welcome to the discussion: Using the Health Literacy Study Circles+

David Pole

poledc at slu.edu
Mon Jun 19 13:09:48 EDT 2006

Thank you very much for your work with HALL. My responsibilities include
academic and community based training in Family Medicine and an AHEC Program
Office. I have reviewed the Circles + materials and the article in the Focus
on Basics newsletter.

We have been engaged with other partners in the region to understand the
issue and determine how to link the health community to the adult literacy
community and came up with a similar strategy, so we are excited to see the
"Health Literacy Circles +" resources/model. We have also engaged in efforts
to train providers in the region on the issue of health literacy to raise
awareness and are participating in discussion on how to implement a strategy
for skills based education sessions. We have also included clinical
vignettes in our Family Medicine clerkship with simulated low literacy
patients so the third-year medical students can gain hands-on experience
discussing the issues around literacy in a patient-provider situation.

Do you see the Health Literacy Circles + materials being made available for
others to pilot?

The Tables in the FOB article provide an excellent organizational framework
for integrating issues with necessary skills and teachable moments. Are
these something that we would be able to use as a guide in developing our
curriculum and community based efforts?

Thank you.

David Pole, MPH
Deputy Director, Division of Community Health Promotion
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Deparment of Community and Family Medicine
(P) 314-977-8484
(F) 314-977-5268
poledc at slu.edu