[HealthLiteracy 446] Re: Your presentation on health literacy

David Rosen

djrosen at comcast.net
Wed Oct 11 13:17:36 EDT 2006

Andres,

Many years ago Tom Sticht did a Functional Context Education workshop
at Harvard. He pointed out that literacy is a two-sided coin, that
we need to teach people to read (better), but we also need to write
better. He said if it were up to him no one would graduate from
college without being able to write at a 5th grade level. I think he
meant that an important part of good written communication is plain
language, and I agree. I also like that Tom shifted part of the
"literacy responsibility" to writers. Literacy, and health literacy
by extension, is communication. As Argentinians might say, it takes
two to Tango. : - )

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net