[HealthLiteracy] Visual language models

Neuhaus, Charlotte (OPHS)

CNeuhaus at OSOPHS.DHHS.GOV
Thu Feb 23 17:00:36 EST 2006

I suggest you look at the following website,
http://www.hablamosjuntos.org/mediacenter/pressreleases/default.12142005.asp

Hablamos Juntos has developed a series of universal symbols intended for use
in healthcare facilities.

-----Original Message-----
From: healthliteracy-bounces at nifl.gov
[mailto:healthliteracy-bounces at nifl.gov] On Behalf Of Monica Saavedra-Embesi
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 3:19 PM
To: healthliteracy at nifl.gov
Subject: [HealthLiteracy] Visual language models

Dear List serv participants:
My name is Monica Saavedra Embesi and I am a healht educator with the
National center for Farmworker Health. I had question posed to me by a
constituent, and was hoping someone on this list could help.

A consituent is looking for a type of universal visual language that they
could use as signs or posters in community centers, hallways of public
housing,
supermarkets, etc. So that, someone who cannot read (either English or
Spanish) could recognize that they are advertising healthcare services
(for example), followed by a phone number. Sooooo ... the might be a
doctor with a stethoscope.

Do you know of anyone who has developed anything like this?

--
Monica Saavedra-Embesi, C.H.E.S
Migrant Health Education Coordinator

National Center for Farmworker Health, Inc.
1770 FM 967
Buda, Texas 78610
(512) 312-5468 (Direct line)
(512) 312-2600/295-6301 (Fax)