[HealthLiteracy] Spam: Welcome to New Subscribers, and a Question for All

Hernandez, Rose

rhernandez at mhhc.org
Wed Jan 4 12:36:08 EST 2006

Hello everyone!

My name is Rose Hernandez and I recently subscribed to the health and literacy discussion list after going through some of the archives and seeing the valuable information shared in this list.

First of all, let me tell you a little bit about myself and my connection to health literacy. I am an Americorp VISTA Healthcorps member at Morris Heights Health Center, a not-for-profit community health center in Bronx, NY. Americorp VISTA is a govt funded program that provides a "living allowance" and stipend for a year of community service. So my goal this year is to create and implement a health literacy program at my site.

So after months of research and looking at established health literacy programs and initiatives, we have decided we are going to do waiting room presentations for patients on "how to read medication labels" and "how to communicate effectively with your doctor." To complement this, we would also like to have trainings for providers and medical staff to make them aware of the health literacy issue as well as providing them with strategies they could use to better communicate with their patients.

So I have a couple of questions for you all that maybe you can help me out with.....

1. Do you know of any organizations or people that provide health literacy trainings for providers and ledical staff for FREE or for a VERY modest fee? Also does anyone know what the average price range for a one time training is (for a group of about 30 people)?

At this time we are just starting out and have virtually no funding for this program...which leads me to my next question.

2. Do you know of any funding sources that would consider funding a health literacy program like the one I have described above.

As for the discussion list, I hope to hear about all the new developments in health literacy especially about the community based health literacy programs. I would also like to network with other health literacy professionals.

Hope to hear from you,

Rose Hernandez