[HealthLiteracy 284] Re: Communications

Lois Culler

lois.culler at inova.com
Fri Jul 21 09:59:10 EDT 2006

The hospital system in which I work is planning for a health literacy
campaign in 2007 which will include staff and physician education as
well as the use of materials from the Parthership for Clear Health
Communication called Ask Me 3. (www.askme3.org) Does anyone on the list
have experience or data to share in relation to these materials?

Lois Culler

Director
Health Sciences Library
Inova Fairfax Hospital
3300 Gallows Road
Falls Church, VA 22042
(703) 776-3234
Lois.Culler at Inova.com

>>> julie_mcKinney at worlded.org 7/21/2006 9:46:44 AM >>>

Thanks for the support and suggestions. So far, we have: putting one's
hand on the Dr.'s sleeve, writing questions down before the visit,
asking questions early in the visit, bringing someone with you, and
writing a note or other formal complaint if needs are unmet.

These are all great suggestions. But why is it that they all put the
burden on the patient? It's true that patients (all of us) have to be
bold, know that we have the right to clarify everything, and use
techniques like these. But there should be some burden on the health
providers as well.

How can we work with doctors and other providers, as well as the
systems
themselves, to promote improvement in communication? How should we
train
our doctors differently? What can we do with the 10-minute appointment
problem? What other system improvements can we advocate for?

Vera, it sounds like you are from a school of medicine, and Ruth, your
title is "director of navigation services" (sounds like something all
health communitites should have!). Can either of you elaborate on how
the training of doctors, and policy affecting health care delivery
systems can be improved?

Is anyone else out there who is involved with medical training or
policy?

Thanks,

Julie

Julie McKinney