[HealthLiteracy 237] Re: Welcome to the discussion: Using theHealthLiteracy Study Circles+

Winston Lawrence

WinstonL at lacnyc.org
Thu Jun 22 16:04:28 EDT 2006

Hi Bill and others. I am fascinated by the work of the young people in
their mapping of their communities. I am also struck by your comment
about disparities. One of the things I found was that the study circle
format allowed teachers to really examine many issues, particularly the
issue of disparity. They were able to read and examine research data
and other health information and talk about many issues. As a result of
those discussions, I found many teachers seized with a deeper awareness
of the nature of health disparities. Many saw health literacy playing a
part in reducing some of those disparities. (of course they recognized
that changes in systemic conditions were also needed)
I am wondering whether the study circle format for health providers
could do the same -i.e. stimulate health workers to a deeper
appreciation of the importance of health literacy in addressing
disparities. What do we think?
Winston

Support the LAC! When you make a purchase at one of the 25 Borders
Superstores throughout New York State on June 28th, 29th or 30th, 2006,
using the Borders/LAC benefit coupon, Borders will donate 10% of your
purchase to the LAC. Please visit our website, www.lacnyc.org, for the
benefit coupon and additional information. Thank you and happy reading!

Winston Lawrence Ed. D
Senior Professional Deveopment Associate,
Literacy Assistance Center
32 broadway, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10004
Tel: 212-803-3326