Click here to skip navigation Home  |  Subject Index  |  Important Links  |  Contact Us  |  Help

U.S. Office of Personnel Management - Ensuring the Federal Government has an effective civilian workforce

This page can be found on the web at the following url:

Advanced Search

Retirement Information & Services

Skip Navigation

Federal Tax Withholding Calculator

My monthly payment before deductions is: $ .00 Enter whole dollar amount
(no commas, please).
For withholding purposes, I am:
Number of allowances I can claim:

The Office of Personnel Management does not supply IRS publications or tax advice.

  • If you have taxable income in addition to your annuity or if you or your spouse can be claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return, you may want to claim fewer allowances.
  • If you itemize deductions on your return, have tax-free income, or have any tax credits available, you may want to claim additional allowances.

If either of the above two situations applies to you, contact the Internal Revenue Service for information on the correct number of allowances you should claim based on your financial situation. Look for Publication 721, "Tax Guide to U.S. Civil Service Retirement Benefits," on the IRS website.

Please contact us at for information or assistance.