in DAWN helps hospitals serve their communities and their patients
by measuring the impact of drug use, misuse, and abuse in Emergency
Departments (EDs). Member hospitals:
- Have ready access to their own de-identified data in “real-time”
through DAWN LIVE!.
- Receive annual payments for participation.
DAWN staff work with hospitals to simplify the logistics
Hospitals are selected by scientific sampling. Hospitals
eligible for the sample are short-term, general, non-Federal
facilities, with 24-hour emergency departments. The sample
is selected based on these hospital characteristics:
- Location (in selected metropolitan areas vs. elsewhere)
- Ownership (public vs. private)
- Size (small, medium, or large).
The DAWN sample includes
hundreds of hospitals. A large sample is necessary to get
an accurate picture of drug-related ED visits.
Only hospitals in the sample are invited to join DAWN. The
role of each hospital is to represent itself and similar
hospitals in its metropolitan area or the Nation. Thus, participation
by every hospital in the sample is important, to ensure that
all types of hospitals are well represented.