Possible Solutions

Learning About Applicable Laws and Solutions

If you are a parent whose child has been taken from the United States to another country in violation of your parental rights, the Office of Children's Issues is here to help you. We offer many services that you might find valuable during this difficult time.  As the U.S. Central Authority for the Hague Abduction Convention, we can help you file an application for return of your child through this civil law treaty.  If your child is in a country that is not a treaty partner, we can help you understand other possible solutions.  

First, please read the information on this page and learn about possible solutions to an international parental child abduction. After reviewing these options, we invite you to contact us.  We are experts on international parental child abduction.  Our case officers understand what works in different countries and are available to respond to your questions and offer a variety of resources.  In addition, we recommend consulting with an attorney.  Finding an attorney is usually an important part of resolving an international parental child abduction case.  

Does the Hague Convention Apply to My Case?

  • YES:
    • Your child was abducted to a country that is a party to the Hague Convention (view country list); and
    • Your child is younger than 16 years old;
  • NO:
    • Your child was abducted to a country that is not a party to the Hague Convention; or
    • Your child is older than 16 years old;


Respond to Abduction: Step 1 | Step 2 | Step 3 | Step 4 | Step 5