Economic News Releases

U.S. Import and Export Price Indexes

August 13, 2009
The U.S. Import Price Index fell 0.7 percent in July. Decreases for both petroleum prices and nonpetroleum prices contributed to the July drop for overall import prices, which followed four consecutive monthly increases. Export prices also declined in July, falling 0.3 percent after advancing 1.0 percent the previous month. Full Text »

Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey

August 12, 2009
On the last business day of June, the number of job openings in the U.S. was little changed near a series low level of 2.6 million, the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor reported today. The hires rate and separations rates were little changed in June and at series lows at 2.9 percent and 3.3 percent, respectively. Full Text »

The Editor's Desk

Extended mass layoffs in the second quarter of 2009

August 13, 2009
In the second quarter of 2009, employers initiated 2,994 mass layoff events that resulted in the separation of workers from their jobs for at least 31 days. The number of these extended mass layoff events was a record high for a second quarter. (Data are available back to 1995). Full Text »

Spotlight on Statistics

BLS 125th Anniversary

Spotlight on Statistics, BLS 125th Anniversary

The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) celebrates its 125th anniversary in 2009.
Read more »

Regional Offices

BLS Regional Information Map Southwest Information Office (Dallas, TX) Southeast Information Office (Atlanta, GA) Mountain/Plains Information Office (Kansas City, MO) Midwest Information Office (Chicago, IL) New England Information Office (Boston, MA) Mid-Atlantic Information Office (Philadelphia, PA) New York-New Jersey Information Office (New York, NY) New York-New Jersey Information Office (New York, NY)
Click on a region from the map.

Career Information for Kids

Career Information for Kids

What Are You Interested In?