How to Contact Us

Overseas Citizens ServicesOffice of Children's Issues | Visa Services | Passport Services

OVERSEAS CITIZENS SERVICES: Call 1-888-407-4747 (from overseas: 202-501-4444) for answers related to questions concerning the:

  • Death of an American citizen abroad
  • Arrest/detention of an American citizen abroad
  • Robbery of an American citizen abroad
  • American citizens missing abroad
  • Crisis abroad involving American citizens
  • After-hours number for an emergency involving an American citizen abroad

[Back to Top]

Call 1-888-407-4747 (from overseas: 202 501-4444) for answers related to questions concerning:

  • International parental child abduction
  • Intercountry adoption
  • Recorded information on custody and adoptions
  • Denial of passports to minors in certain circumstances such as abductions

For general children's issues questions concerning international parental child abduction or general intercountry adoption questions, you may e-mail

For questions that deal with the implementation of the Hague Adoption Convention, you may e-mail

To sign up for the list serv for updates on U.S. preparations for ratification of the Hague Adoption Convention, please send a request and your e-mail address to

[Back to Top]

For information related to inquiries about visa cases and the application process, call 202-663-1225. For information about immigrant visa cut-off dates, call 202-663-1541. For inquiries about J waiver status, use the J Waiver Status Check website. For immigrant visa inquiries, call the National Visa Center at 603-334-0700 or email The Visa Office's e-mail box for quick, general information is: To reach the Kentucky Consular Center, call 606-526-7500.

[Back to Top ]

For information about the passport application process, the status of a passport application, or an emergency passport, visit The National Passport Information Center (NPIC) phone number: 1-877-487-2778.

[Back to Top]