[Technology 1700] Re: Pleasure reading offline: I do! and students'comments

Bakin, Barry

barry.bakin at lausd.net
Thu Jul 31 11:12:03 EDT 2008

Classroom observations I've made of my perceived 'needs' to be addressed
with adult learners are 'spam' related emails -- the false promises that
BOMBARD mailboxes -- and students often report being afraid to delete them.
It is not unusual for me to see students with thousands of messages in
inbox -- afraid to delete, not recognizing cues of misspelled words in the
subject, etc. ...also often unaware that the sights they visit and enter
minimal data into are often responsible for sending a barrage of junk
emails...

That's an important observation regarding additional skills that need to be taught that I hadn't been completely aware of. I have done lessons about the pop-ups in terms of the virtual "scam" nature of the "you are a winner" type promotions in which the award is virtually impossible to claim since you have to complete X number of promotions, buy Y number of products, and do Z number of activities within a specified time period to actually receive a prize-all of them exactly fulfilled to the letter and missing any one item disqualifies you. Now, I see that there's more critical information to discuss.

Barry Bakin
Pacoima Skills Center
Division of Adult and Career Education
Los Angeles Unified School District

p.s. I'm trying to get through my first "reading for pleasure" book in years-and I'm on the 4th chapter!