[Technology 1530] Re: [SPAM] Re: Social NetworkingPartIII:GettingStudentsandStaf

Marian Thacher

mthacher at otan.us
Tue Feb 12 15:45:06 EST 2008

As I mentioned before, I think social networking sites like Ning could
actually replace the email lists like this one that we are subscribed to
now. For example, on the Classroom 2.0 site, http://www.classroom20.com/,
I can have responses to any of the many discussions initiated there
emailed to me if I choose. I can also easily browse different topics and
groups, as well as initiate my own topic or group. If NIFL Technology was
a Ning group, I could also see photos of all of you, along with relevant
photos and videos that you might post. Mariann included a video that was
posted on Classroom 2.0 in her initial email about preparing for this
discussion.

I've used this site in the same way I use this list, to keep up with new
developments, to ask and answer questions, and to get a sense of other
people who are interested in the same things I am.

On the Classroom 2.0 Ning site, the creator, Steve Hargadon, has done a
very good job of facilitating and making administrative decisions. So the
role of the moderator or teacher is definitely still needed. I used to
recommend Yahoo Groups for creating an online community for students or
teachers, but now I would recommend Ning - so many more features, less
advertising, and easy to use. Has anyone tried it?

One thing I like from a classroom perspective is that every member
automatically has a blog within the Ning site, so it would be easy for all
members to read and respond to each other.

Marian Thacher

The Technology and Literacy Discussion List <technology at nifl.gov> on
Tuesday, February 12, 2008 at 11:03 AM -0800 wrote:

>I have not had the chance to use this, just heard about it recently.

>I've thought of setting one up for our ABLE region in Ohio. Basically,

>it would be an ABLE social network for the Northeast Ohio region, or all

>of Ohio (sometimes it is good to set boundries). You would be the social

>network, like a mini-"facebook" specific to your social networking

>population. Beyond that, it is up to the "social network" to really

>drive the concept, which seems to be the subject of this discussion

>before i jumped in. I can't recommend anything on implementation, I'm

>really a librarian, not an educator.

>Start here:

>[ http://www.ning.com/ ]http://www.ning.com/

>Examples here:

>[ http://www.ning.com/home/networks?tag=education

>]http://www.ning.com/home/networks?tag=education

>The FAQs mentioned you can request access to source code. Ning runs on

>their hardware, and the software is regularly updated, so tweak at your

>own discretion. More answers may be found here [

>http://developer.ning.com/ ]http://developer.ning.com/. Hope this

>helps.

>Matt Gambrill

>Northeast ABLE Resource Center

>[ http://www.neable.org ]www.neable.org

) to be far more creepy than my relationship with MySpace.