[Technology 1697] Re: Technology Digest, Vol 34, Issue 15

David J. Rosen

djrosen at comcast.net
Thu Jul 31 10:31:24 EDT 2008

Colleagues,

I read books (thanks to the Boston Public Library!), articles,
newspapers, web pages, (wanted and unwanted) mail and email and
discussion list postings like this, manuals, curricula, content
standards, policies, Requests for Proposals, proposals, evaluations,
studies, and much more.

I am a critical reader. One of the documents that helped me to "get"
why it is important to be a critical reader many years ago is "Body
Ritual Among the Nacirema" https://www.msu.edu/~jdowell/miner.html
Wendy, and others, this might be useful with some of your adult
secondary education/transition to college students. If you haven't
read it yet, it's a must!

The past couple of years, my book group has chosen to read books that
are essentially long (usually interesting) arguments. These include:

Two books by Yale Law School Professor, Amy Chua, World on Fire, and
Day of Empire, How Hyperpowers Rise to Global Dominance--and Why They
Fall; and The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

I found each of these three books compelling. Each started with a
thesis and tried to prove it using arguments and a variety of kinds
of evidence. This kind of reading requires being able to follow a
well-developed argument and having a dialogue with yourself (and
ideally others) about the argument and its sub-parts. In the end, you
have to decide whether or not, and to what extent, to accept the
thesis. This is the kind of reading (thinking) we need in a
pluralistic, democratic society. We need other kinds of reading, too,
but the ability to follow (and dispute) an argument is especially
important.

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net