[Technology 1608] Re: Access to PDF text

Ira Socol

irasocol at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 17:19:32 EDT 2008

I just found your list when friends referred me, and I've read through much
of this thread and thought I'd add a few thoughts.

First, I just want to begin by noting that text-to-speech systems are not -
in any way - just for people with limited reading skills. I've spent a dozen
years working with WYNN (still, I think, the single best "lifespan" literacy
solution available) and other text-to-speech systems. I've worked with
children as young as 8, with middle school students (we have two research
projects going right now), with hundreds of high school students and
hundreds of community college and university students, as well as wide range
of adult learners and workers through a state Voc/Rehab agency. In addition
to all of those WYNN applications I've done a great deal with Text-Help's
Read-and-Write, Microsoft Reader, NaturalReader (the free version),
ReadPlease (in the old days), CLiCk-Speak in Firefox (and FoxyVoice before
that), WordTalk, and on and on. And yes we've used the Reading Pen - though
really never with students, for whom it is simply not an appropriate tool.

Anyway, these tools work to support a vast range of learning needs, which is
what makes them "Universal Design Technology" and which is what makes their
inclusion in every classroom essential. From the student simply using the
Firefox add-ins to get new vocabulary pronunciation, or definitions, or
translations, to the student using the feedback systems in WYNN to build
reading comprehension skills, to second-language-learners, to students with
a range of visual or simply attention issues (which are helped immensely
when both hearing and vision are engaged in software which highlights the
words and sentences as they are read), these tools work. And students need
to have them on hand.

There is a place for all of these solutions. Surely no school computer
should be without the free supports in Firefox. But students who need more
will need software such as WYNN. In vocational applications or lifestyle
applications a Reading Pen is great as well (reading menus, prescription
bottles, addresses - or ensuring that the right part is being selected from
the plumbing/electrical/auto parts warehouse. Yes, students need to know
Adobe Reader will read to them. They need to know that Firefox has this
range of solutions. They need to know that new Mobile phone text readers are
coming - all the free and ubiquitous stuff - but they also need to see and
understand the power of the high end solutions, and they need those
solutions available so they can achieve their potential.

I have now seen dozens of complete "non-readers" successfully complete
university educations using WYNN for all of their reading. I have seen
hundreds of similar students complete vocational courses using it as well.
And for each of those there are 5 or 6 "weak readers" who've used these
supports extensively in order to finish their education. But I also know
that I meet many more students who struggle with reading (aren't over 2/3 of
American students below "proficiency" in reading?) who are denied real
access to texts because their schools refuse to become informed, refuse to
learn, and refuse to properly make their IT-systems accessible. And that is
a crime.

Ira Socol
http://speedchange.blogspot.com/