Form DS-82: Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail
|SUBMIT FORM DS-82 IF ALL OF THE FOLLOWING ARE TRUE:|
Your Most Recent U.S. Passport:
|If you answered no to any of the above statements you are not eligible to use Form DS-82! You must follow the instructions on How to Apply for the First Time (In Person).|
Read and understand Steps 1-3 before leaving this page.
STEP 1: Complete and Print Form
- If completing Form DS-82 online, make sure that all of the entered information is complete and correct before printing. Print the completed form using black ink on one-sided pages.
- If completing Form DS-82 by hand, do so legibly and in black ink. Make sure that all of the entered information is complete and correct. Illegible applications may delay application processing times
NOTE: Form DS-82 can also be obtained from your local Acceptance Facility or a Passport Agency.
STEP 2: Sign and Date
You must sign and date Form DS-82 on page 1 of the application.
STEP 3: Submit Completed Form + Additional Documents
Mail Form DS-82 in a padded envelope to the address listed on the form, along with:
- Your most recent U.S. Passport (book or card)
- Two Passport Photos
- Current Passport Fees
- A marriage certificate or court order (only if your current name is different from what was recorded in your most recent U.S. passport)
- We strongly encourage you to mail your passport application and any personal documents using a traceable delivery method.
- In order to protect the contents of your mailing from the elements throughout the delivery process, we encourage you to mail your passport application and any personal documents using a secure means of packaging, such as a Tyvek envelope.
- For more information, including how to attached your second photo to the application, please see Helpful Hints for Submitting Form DS-82.
If You Wish to Expedite Your Passport Application:
- Include a check or money order for $60.00 made payable to the U.S. Department of State (See Passport Fees)
- Clearly mark ‘EXPEDITE’ on the outside of the padded envelope
- We recommend using an overnight delivery service for delivery to and from the Passport Agency
NEED A U.S. PASSPORT IMMEDIATELY?
You should make an appointment to be seen at a Regional Passport Agency only if:
- The U.S. passport is needed in less than 2 weeks for international travel
- The U.S. passport is needed within 4 weeks to obtain a foreign visa
Contact the National Passport Information Center to make an appointment or locate a Passport Agency.
|If you are overseas and need to apply for or renew your U.S. passport, please follow the instructions under the U.S. passport section in Tips for Americans Traveling Abroad.|