[NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:3153] Aids for the Visually Impaired

From: Jeff Carter (jeff_carter@worlded.org)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 10:36:31 EST

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:36:31 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Jeff Carter" <jeff_carter@worlded.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:3153] Aids for the Visually Impaired

As everyone here surely knows, vision-related disabilities can be a
significant issue for many low-literacy individuals. I rediscovered an
old resource related to this topic over the weekend and I thought I
would pass it on: a Web page of hints and tips for using computers
(well, Macs) for people with low-vision (people with some visual-field
dysfunction but not complete lack of vision). And while the suggested
solutions are Mac-focused, I think it's a decent introduction to
low-vision issues affecting computer users in general. One caveat: The
page hasn't been updated since 2000, and offers only pre-OS X
solutions.

<http://www.dusers.drexel.edu/~stjohn/mac-lowvision.html>

I'd also be curious if people knew of any similar roundups of
issues/resources that was geared for Windows users...

I've posted this to our blog as well; you can post comments there if
you prefer.

<www.literacytech.org/blog.html>

Jeff

Jeff Carter