[NIFL-ESL:10631] RE: advanced students:GED, or what?

From: bonniesophia@adelphia.net
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 13:58:03 EST

Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 13:58:03 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "bonniesophia@adelphia.net" <bonniesophia@adelphia.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10631] RE: advanced students:GED, or what?

 Hi, Mari,
Not knowing what your funding parameters are, I don't yet want to suggest
any texts. But if you could determine what goals they have, other than
academic, you could offer: ESL/Civics, Family Literacy, Employment
preparedness or Workplace-related skills. In my CBO days, I've taught mixed
ABE/ESL classes whose CASAS scores were in the 230s (or above), and these
were the programs we offered. Project-based learning and/or integrating
technology into skills goals also works. In a literacy volunteer-based
program, we've offered conversation, but as always, it works if it's in
some way goal-related. At Post University, we offer au pairs (i.e. young
people whose goals aren't to get a degree but have some kind of education
requirement)and other community members wanting credit-free courses
pronunciation, and listening/discussion classes based on current issues.
Best,
Bonnie Odiorne, Ph.D.
Writing Center, English Language Institute
Post University, Waterbury, CT