[NIFL-ESL:10522] Re: software

From: Steve Quann (steve_quann@worlded.org)
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 15:07:23 EST

Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 15:07:23 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Steve Quann" <steve_quann@worlded.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10522] Re: software

Dottie (and others),

You might find the following page helpful in your selection of
software:
http://tech.worlded.org/docs/cesol/software.htm

Also, I would suggest encouraging teachers to have learners share a
computer. Even if there are enough, this interaction can  facilitate
dialogue and help each student work with the computer and software.

Steve Quann
NCSALL and NELRC
World Education
44 Farnsworth Street
Boston, MA
617.482.9485

>>> dottie@shattuck.net 11/1/2004 2:49:04 PM >>>
Hello, colleagues!  I know this question has been asked before, but
please
bear with -- and update --me.

Tri-District Adult ESL recently received a grant!  Naturally, my boss
wants
to get some computer software for ESL adults, esp. Beginners.

I must be honest -- I'm not very fond of computer-assisted learning for

Beginners.  I think Beginners need to communicate w/humans, not
machines.
However, I can see the benefits of a "back-up system" in our
multi-level,
open-entry classes.  So.............

What software do you suggest?   Any particular one we should NOT get?
Anything with dialogs?  Pronunciation basics?  Literacy basics?  How do
you
use the materials?

Also, do you know of any good videos that focus on basics, including
the
alphabet & numbers.

Use my personal email unless you think others here are also
interested.

Thanks!

Dottie Shattuck            dottie@shattuck.net
Tri-District Adult Edu.