[NIFL-ESL:10279] Re: working with the elderly

From: Kathleen Rathbun (kathyesl@comcast.net)
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 15:33:15 EDT

Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 15:33:15 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Kathleen Rathbun" <kathyesl@comcast.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:10279] Re: working with the elderly

Seniors have many stories to tell. Work with past tense and encourage them
to tell some interesting stories about their family or life in their
countries.
The movie-Second Hand Lions might interest them. It's a positive take on
getting older and interacting with younger generations. I have a whole
lesson plan on it if you would like it. It encourages critical thinking.
A field trip or two of their interest on a housing bus might be appropriate.
 Try to determine what their interests are with a survey or questionnaire.
I'll keep thinking.---Kathleen